Virtual physical therapy: it’s on everyone’s mind right now. The novel coronavirus has flung our world onto its side. For those that are new to virtual rehab, I want to answer these 3 questions:
- What is telehealth physical therapy?
- How can telehealth be delivered successfully?
- Why should you consider virtual rehab?
What is telehealth physical therapy?
Simply put, “telehealth physical therapy” (or “virtual physical therapy”) refers to physical therapy services that are provided over a technology platform, rather than by in-person means.
Other phrases referring to telehealth physical therapy might include (depending on your specific role):
- telemedicine physical therapy
- online physical therapy
- virtual physical therapy
- Virtual Rehab
How is telehealth delivered successfully?
There are a few factors that will allow the session to be successful.
- Have good internet access
- A portable computer works best. Having a laptop, phone or tablet that has a camera will work well in case you need to move around to give the therapist multiple angles for visual movement/postural assessment
- Good audio
- Have space to move around.
- If need be, have a partner in case you need some help
- Be prepared: If you have information that the PT can use (IE- MRI, X-ray, YOUR PERSONAL Goals for the session), this can be very helpful for the therapist. The therapist may suggest certain equipment prior to the session.
Watch our mock session HERE:
Why Should You Consider Virtual Rehab??
You might be asking yourself, “How can virtual rehab be effective?” And that’s a great question!!!
Technology has been improving at a staggering rate the past decade. The video, audio and interactive quality with telehealth has improved dramatically.
As a practice that emphasizes on improving movement, integration and education, ~90% of what we do in a live session can get done virtually. Many patients are surprised how well and effective this is.
AND while the state is on lockdown during the coronavirus this is a PHENOMENAL way to continue progressing AND feel better with your body and mind.